Maria Sharapova failed drug test at Australian Open


Former world number one Maria Sharapova announced Monday she failed a doping test at the Australian Open, saying a change in the World-Anti-Doping Agency banned list for 2016 led to the violation.

Sharapova said she tested positive for Meldonium, a substance she had been taking since 2006 but one that was added to the banned list this year. She said she did not look at the updated ban list before taking the drug.
“I did fail the test, and I take full responsibility for it,” a sombre Sharapova said at a press conference at a downtown Los Angeles hotel.
“I made a huge mistake,” she said. “I let my fans down. I let my sport down that I’ve been playing since the age of four that I love so deeply,” added Sharapova, her voice wavering.
“I know that with this I face consequences and I don’t want to end my career this way — and I really hope I will be given another chance to play this game.”
The 28-year-old Russian, winner of five Grand Slam titles, said she did not yet know just what all the consequences would be, but said she was cooperating with the International Tennis Federation.
Share on Google Plus

About Global Trend News

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment